Thursday 3 December 2015

Love is in the Air!

   Remember that post I wrote, you know, about a year ago? :) I guess you could say that consistent blogging is not my strongest point. *blushes* I am now ready to follow up with another post, despite the fact that it is way overdue!
   If you remember, the title of my previous post was "Got Desires?" I freely admit that the post sprang out of a battle concerning my love life. Many of you know my story, and the fact that there have been several bumps in my journey. But never mind that. I was wrestling with God about my "right" to get married and to see that desire fulfilled. He showed me the truth: as long as my heart is resting in Him, I have everything I need- husband, or no husband. His glory is far more important that my puny dreams, and whatever measures He needs to take to display that glory, will be far more rewarding than human satisfaction. And then, peace overwhelmed me. Sweet peace. It wasn't the first time I had wrestled with this (I'm sure many of you can relate!), but God has powerful ways of keeping us close to His heart, doesn't He?
  Well, after that, God began to do some incredible things! He brought the man I had been secretly falling in love with and praying for, to my doorstep. Literally. This man that I had come to greatly respect and admire had been doing a lot of praying and surrendering on his own, and God told him to marry me. :) Uh, yes please! I won't go into the details of our story right now, but after another season of waiting, we officially began our relationship, and we said "I do" seven months later.
  Here's what I want to tell you. It was totally worth the wait! I am so thankful that I never settled for less than His plans for me. I'm so glad I listened when He spoke, even when that was painful.
   Here's another thing I want to tell you: marriage is not a destination. It does not make you more complete than you are right now. It does not solve your problems. It does not make life perfect. :)
I am grateful that we entered marriage with our "eyes open", as you might say. We knew we were going to need to work in order to have a strong, beautiful marriage. We knew it would not be perfect. We were prepared to "fight the good fight", just like we did when we were single.
  Having said all that...I praise God for marriage! I could not be more blessed than I am. My husband is a man of God, a warrior poet. He cares for my heart in ways that only God could show him. I cannot begin to tell you how many times he has blown me away with his sensitivity and thoughtfulness. He is solid, loyal, honest, trustworthy, humble, and overflows with Jesus' love. When I struggle, he prays over me and is always there for me.
   Someone asked me the other day how the adjustment to marriage has been. We had to learn the importance of communication (and we're still learning). We had to learn to work as a team instead of as independent singles (and we're still learning :). We've had to work through other things. However, here's what is so evident to us, and what I want to encourage you with: as long as we are hidden in Christ and allow Him to work in our hearts, we avoid so much potential for frustration. This applies to all of life, not just marriage. If you demand your own way, marriage (and life itself) will be frustrating. If you expect marriage to be a destination, and expect your husband to meet all your needs, marriage will be hard. This was never the purpose of marriage. If, however, you realize the place it is supposed to have in your life, marriage is bliss. :) I don't mean that life is easy, but marriage can be (and should be) a picture of how Christ loves His bride, the Church. It can't really be explained, but to experience that agape love is glorious.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails." (1 Co 13:4-8 NIV)


So, there's my little tidbit for the day! :) So many of you have been part of my journey, and I want to thank you for letting God use you. We need each other.
All is grace.
~Mrs. Dueck :)


No comments: